Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Why Ambitions is My Favourite Sims 3 Expansion Pack

Strange as it my appear, I did not particularly enjoy the actual careers side of the ambitions expansion which was presumably the main selling point of the game. Being an undercover detective or ghost hunter is admittedly quite fun... for the first half an hour and then the repetitive "quests" soon become tedious and boring.

The best part about the expansion, which makes it so much fun to me, is the Inventing skill. (The following my contain spoilers) On the surface this just appears to be skill like any other with the added bonus of making random items of very little usefulness... but then playing for a little longer reveals the two really cool things that can be "invented" by your Sim.

The Time Machine
The time machine is fantastic. Sims can either adventure in the past or travel to the future, with varying results. Sims can return from their journeys with souvenirs such as books, gnomes or sculptures - these are all completely random and I really enjoy getting random otherwise unobtainable surprise items for my Sim's house.









Taking a partner to the past or future and 'trying for a baby' results in some unusual children. Several days after your Sims have returned in their time machine to the present day, another sim will stroll from the machine claimbing to be their child. Whether they're born in the past or the future will determine their age aswell as their clothes.

My Sims had three children born in the past, two young-adult knights and then a teenage cave-girl.

They then went on to have an elder woman from the future and another young adult from the past.

Even though the time machine is so cool, it's not even my favourite thing from ambitions. My favourite ambitions addition is the SimBot. SimBots can be invented by a level 10 inventor sim after completing a special oppertunity.

SimBots make me smile; they are so incredibly cute and do such silly and fun things!
My first SimBot I brought as a lifetime happiness reward so he's all rusty but that just adds to his charm. 
 He looks so silly when he's dancing.
 He lovingly hugs the microwave.
 He mourned the dishwasher when it broke. 

And that is why Ambitions was the best expansion pack. Also it made me laugh when my Sim's bum got set on fire as she was working at her workbench (She's running to the shower to put out the flames).





1 comment: